Friday, March 1, 2013

The Challenge of Music!


I jumped into The Challenge of Music just to force me to creat something unique and inspirational.

My choice of piece for the Challenge, was Paul Horn’s Prelude 
from his album Inside of the Taj Mahal. 

It's singing without words and a flute, so beautiful!

Click the above link and listen to the music on YouTube!

I love that music because it brings me into a state of equilibrium and lightness. 

Paul Horn is a fascinating musician, who went to foreign cultures as well as to dolphins in the sea and then interpreted his impressions into fabulous music.

Last year, my focus was on creating jewelry. 
This year, has brought me into the mixed media world, a complete new world of creative techniques, concepts and language.

The past weekend, I attended a mixed media class with Ana Dabrowska aka Finnabair

Maybe you can see that I have been inspired by her techniques. 

 However for the Challenge, there was a problem, I had to go beyond the picture of the Taj Mahal. 

Eventually, I woke up one morning with the ultimate picture in my mind. 

My subconscious was still acting during my work. 






What a surprice! After finishing the picture, I could reveal these themes -

The Night, leaving the dark sides of life, meets the Sunrise coming with a new sparkling Day.  

The dark Evil against the supreme Good coming from the Sun.  

 



The Snake in Paradise and




Phoenix & the Eternity!
 



Some other details, the butterfly threatened by the snake behind




The snake's tail



 

The materials, are grunge things ( the snake is made of an old dog leash), left-overs from the past weekend, pearls, shisha mirrors, glitter glue and acrylics. 
I had a styrofoam plate coated with a piece of rough silk instead of a canvas. 

Thank you Erin Prais-Hintz for this exiting challenge!  

Here are my fellows in the Challenge of Music -
     
Erin Prais-Hintz
Alenka Obid
Ali McCarthy
Alicia Marinache
Amy Severino
Amy Grass
Carolyn Lawson
Cece Cormier
Cynthia Riggs
Emanda Johnson
Emma Todd
Erin Kenny
Evelyn Shelby
Evie and Beth McCord
Holly Westfall
Jennifer Justman
Jenny Davies-Reazor
Jess Green
Judy Campbell
Karla Morgan
Kristina Johansson
Lola Surwillo
Malin de Koning
Mallory Hoffman
Mary K McGraw
Melissa Trudinger
Michelle Escano
Michelle Bourbonniere
Michelle Mach
Molly Alexander
Monique Urquhart
Niky Sayers
Pam Farren
Rebecca Anderson
Sally Russick
Sharon Driscoll
Susan Kennedy
Tari Kahrs
Veralynne Malone

16 comments:

  1. Jag älskar flöjtmusik och ditt utvalda musikstycke är verkligen härligt! Och vilken spännande berättelse du fann i den. Många hade nog i ditt fall fastnar i tankarna på Taj Mahal, men du sökte vidare och fann en ny berättelse i musiken.

    Där finns flera små intressanta detaljer i tavlan om denna stora berättelse (gott mot ont, ljus mot mörker). Det svarta tränger sig på, men man får aldrig känslan att det kan vinna över det ljusa, skira (som finns både i tavlan och musiken).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This piece is striking! It definitely emulates the feel of the music!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great piece! So appropriate with the music. Great job! Love the symbolism. Amazing how different we all are in our choices and projects!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your new mixed media creations with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your work!!!! It's beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - such a strong interpretation! You obviously put a lot of thought into your piece and made it so very personal. I, too, have been spending a lot more time on canvas and paper this year, and it has added a whole new perspective on interpreting my thoughts and ideas. Well done!

    :) Molly

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find this music very meditative, as you indicated, Gerd. My son, who plays the flute, says he is going to listen to more of Paul Horn's compositions. I may get my own live concert if I play my cards right!

    Your work is really unique. I can see the battle between the elements clearly. It is wonderful how you have used such unusual components to display great beauty and drama.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - love your piece! I love the different elements you used to interpret the music!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a unique piece! It does a good job of storytelling. I love that you told us about the unusual materials--I never would have guessed some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such an interesting piece! It is clear that you were inspired by the music. I really enjoyed discovering all of the elements and creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a haunting piece of music! I love the juxtaposition between light and dark, evil and good in your mixed media artwork. I am glad that you chose to use that as your medium of expression. Thank you for sharing this beautiful music and your art with the world! Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful piece, your creation captured it perfectly! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous mixed-media artwork, I love it, and love the story you tell with it. It's such a haunting piece of music.

    ReplyDelete
  14. thank you for visiting my blog.....and now i discover yours and a whole new universe of creation. this last canvas you made is fabulous, there is so much tension in it...suspense...i don't want to wait for the moment the snake attacks the butterfly; but then you attached it fortunately :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. well trying again as my comment doesn't seem to have been accepted:
    as i just wrote: i am happy you visited my blog and liked my gelliprints and i am so lucky to discover your blog in return, admiring this canvas full of suspense with the snake on the point of attacking the butterfly...good you glued it well in place, but it is an exciting 'tableau'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the nice comments! You are multilingual as well!

      I'm sorry Anja, I didn't realize there is a moderation for this blog.

      Delete